Receding gums are a result of the corrosion of the gum tissue around the teeth. This is what makes the gums look like they are receding toward the back of the jaw. This means that a larger area of our teeth becomes more visible. In a situation where gums recede, the area that is usually found between the teeth and gum line increases.
This is not just a visual problem because this area is ideal for growth of harmful bacteria. In addition, this also means that the root of the tooth is more exposed to external influences which often results in intense pain and tooth sensitivity.
Finally, receding gums can affect the bone and structure of teeth in a negative way that can ultimately lead to tooth loss.
Receding gums – Symptoms
In case you didn’t know, there are thousands of people suffering from this health problem, but the majority of people don’t actually know that they have this problem. It is very difficult to notice the problem because it is developing slowly and gradually. So, don’t forget to observe the gums in case you experience tooth sensitivity. This is one of the first symptoms. Another obvious sign is the appearance of your tooth – if it is bigger than it used to be, then you must solve this issue right away because this is the second most common symptoms of receding gums. Now let’s summarize the symptoms and signs:
- Bigger tooth than before
- Teeth are more sensitive
Receding Gums – Causes
It is very likely that you are suffering from gum disease, but there are few other things that can cause receding gums like:
- Poor oral hygiene – in case you are not brushing your teeth on a regular basis and you are not using dental floss, it is very likely that you will experience plaque accumulation on your teeth. Over time, this buildup will turn into calculus, a solid substance that leads to gum recession.
- Periodontal disease – this disease represents bacterial infection located in the gums. This disease damages the gums and the supporting tooth bone. The final result is tooth loss.
- Genetic predisposition – if you have a family history of problems like this, then you can blame the genes.
- Improper brushing – many people don’t know that it is not only important to brush your teeth, but you also must brush your teeth in a proper way. In case you practice an aggressive approach, you will damage the enamel and this is something that can lead to many problems including receding gums.
- Smoking – gum recession can be caused by smoking too. Smoking is a practice that can result in many health problems like cancer, lung disease and receding gums. Individuals who smoke are prone to plaque buildup.
- Hormonal imbalance – this is a very common problem in women. The changes in the levels of hormones result in sensitive gums prone to damages.
- Grinding and clenching – grinding and clenching the teeth results in extra pressure on the teeth and one of the negative consequences is receding gums. Avoid using unnecessary force when you are chewing and biting your food.
- Piercing – even though some people may found this reason odd, but the truth is the piercing lips or tongue can result in receding gums too.
How to Deal With Receding Gums
In case you find out that you have problems with receding gums in the early stage, your dentist will heal them with tooth scaling or root planning. The dentist will quickly eliminate the plaque/calculus from all your teeth and the area beneath the gum line. Of course, many people don’t notice this problem until it gets serious. In a situation like this, it is possible that you will need a gum surgery to stop the problem and remove the negative consequences.
There are many different surgeries for receding gums including – reduction of depth, restoration of the missing bone and tissue of teeth and gums, soft tissue graft and few more surgeries. In case you want to skip these surgeries, you can try some natural homemade remedies suggested in our article. However, don’t forget to talk to your dentist if you have some complex gum infection because this problem is very serious.
If the dentist tells you that the problem doesn’t need to be resolved right away, you can try some of these natural remedies. By practicing these remedies and taking care of your oral health, you should be able to bring back the receding gums.
Is It Possible for Gums to Grow Back?
Of course! Gums are a type of soft tissue. They are surrounding the teeth in order to give them stability and to protect the root of the teeth as the most important part of teeth. If you are interested in fixing this issue, you must follow a proper oral hygiene routine and you can try all the recipes that we will suggest in this article.
Natural Homemade Recipes for Receding Gums Regeneration
All these homemade recipes are based on natural ingredients like spices and herbs.
This specific type of tea is praised for its medicinal properties around the world. It is packed with antioxidants that have the ability to eliminate free radicals in the body and these free radicals often lead to periodontal disease and ultimately to receding gums. There is one antioxidant in green tea that is especially successful in eliminating the traces of periodontal disease – catechin. Catechin can fortify the bond between teeth and gums. It also provides anti-inflammatory effects that reduce gum swelling that lead to oral diseases.
Using Green Tea:
Drink one cup of green tea in the morning on a daily basis.
This is another plant that is known for the health benefits it brings. It turns out that Aloe Vera is helpful in cases of receding gums too. Aloe Vera has very strong repairing and anti-inflammatory properties. When it comes to receding gums, this ingredient will eliminate inflammation and will active the cells needed for tissue regeneration. In addition, it will protect your mouth from other infections because of the strong antibacterial effects.
Using Aloe Vera:
If you want to regenerate your gums, use Aloe Vera gel. You can use it in two different ways. First of all, you can use this gel to brush your teeth. When you are finished brushing and flossing, add some Aloe Vera gel and brush the gums and teeth. The whole procedure should last no more than five minutes. After that, use lukewarm water to rinse the mouth.
The second option is to use Aloe Vera gel as a natural mouthwash. Brush your teeth like you always do and after that, take a small amount of Aloe Vera gel and dilute it in lukewarm water. Try to make a solution that can be easily swirled through the teeth. perform this procedure on a daily basis.
This is one of the most popular natural remedies for receding gums. Oil pulling can help people dealing with different diseases that occur in the oral cavity especially for treating cavities. Sesame oil has proven to be very helpful and provides strong anti-inflammatory effects. This oil can fight off plaque accumulations and eliminate toxins from the oral cavity. Sesame oil is able to create a layer that can protect the teeth and lower the risk of plaque accumulation. In addition, this practice will boost the absorption of useful nutrients.
Using Oil Pulling:
Take a small amount of sesame oil and warm it. Remember that you should not make it hot. After that, brush the teeth and put the oil in the mouth. Swirl the oil and gargle it. Perform this activity for at least two minutes. In case you are new to this, you can do this for one minute in the beginning and increase the time gradually. The final goal is to reach 15 minutes.
Alternative Way of Oil Pulling
Many people use coconut oil instead of sesame oil for this purpose. Coconut oil lowers the risk of infections that usually lead to receding gums. This oil will treat the oral cavity and protect you from tooth decay. Several studies have shown that coconut oil is efficient when it comes to treatment of receding gums.
Using Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil:
Try to find organic coconut oil. Use your toothbrush and toothpaste like you always do and after that, take a small amount of coconut oil and use it as a natural mouthwash. Perform the same procedure one more time for one or two minutes and increase the amount of time slowly. It would be best if you can spend 15 minutes on this procedure each day. Coconut oil pulling supports receding gums re-growth and prevents the activity of harmful bacteria in the oral cavity.
Eucalyptus is packed with essential oils that are known for their exceptional health benefits. We all know that essential oils that come from popular herbs are actually more efficient than the herbs in their natural form. This is quite obvious because people use only a few drops of essential oils when they are preparing their meals. Eucalyptus essential oil can eliminate bacteria and germs that dwell in the oral cavity. This oil will keep you safe from different types of oral diseases. Eucalyptus provides powerful anti-inflammatory effects and it supports the reduction of inflammation and swelling in the gums. Don’t forget to dilute the oil before you use it in the mouth because it is very strong.
Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
Mix two drops of eucalyptus essential oil with two tablespoons of water in order to dilute this strong oil. Soak the toothbrush in the solution (or you can dip your finger too). Use it on the gums and rub them slowly and carefully. Use lukewarm water to wash the mouth. In this way, you will support the growth of completely new gums and protect your gums from additional receding.
In order to use this remedy, you will need Myrrh tree resin. This resin has been used for healing various mouth and gums diseases for centuries. It has the ability to prevent gums recession and in addition, it will protect you from other damages in this area.
It is the best idea to use myrrh in a powdered form. In case you have myrrh resin, crush it in order to create powder. Mix it with some water in order to get a paste. Use your fingers or toothbrush to put it on the gums and massage this area slowly. Rub this area for at least two minutes.
Clove oil is used for many different things, but prevention of tooth ache is one of the most popular uses of this oil. The vast majority of people are not aware of the fact that clove oil has strong disinfectant properties. This vegetable and its oil can help people eliminate bacteria and germs found in the mouth and in addition, it can ease the symptoms of almost every oral disease. Clove oil provides anti-inflammatory effects too and it can decrease the swelling of gums. If you want to get rid of periodontal disease, you must ease the inflammation. In case you chew a clove you will notice numbness in this area. Experts recommend chewing a clove after each main meal. Keep in mind that clove oil will reach every part of the mouth. In addition, you will also eliminate bad breath.
Using Clove Oil:
Take two drops of clove oil, apply them on the gums and start massaging. Perform this procedure up to 3 times a day.
Note: if you are taking any kind of blood clotting drug, ask your physician whether you can use this method or not.
This fruit is praised for its powerful antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Lemons have the ability to support the growth of receding gums. They will also eliminate halitosis. These fruits are very acidic, so avoid taking too many lemons because they can damage the enamel. Never use lemon oil on a daily basis. It is best to use it once a week. In case you are interested in making lemon oil, you should know that it is quite easy to get a product like this.
Homemade lemon oil recipe:
- Lemon juice from one lemon
- Half a cup of virgin olive oil
Take the olive oil and pour it in a glass jar. After that, pour the lemon juice. Seal the jar well and shake it. Let the mixture rest for at least 20 days. Keep in mind that you should shake the jar on a daily basis. Once the time has passed, you can use this amazing oil.
Using Lemon Oil:
Dip your fingers in the lemon oil and rub the gums gently for 3-5 minutes. Perform this procedure twice a week.
Tips and Advice for Gum Recession Prevention
It is the best idea to prevent this problem then to cure it. You will be amazed by the number of people who are suffering from receding gums, so it is quite logical to take some measures right away. The best part is that in this way you will protect your oral cavity from different diseases too. The following is a short list of tips that will show you how to take proper care of this part of our body.
Adequate Oral Hygiene
Remember that this is crucial for preventing any type of oral disease.
- Don’t practice forceful brushing
- Brush following your gum line, never push your gums
- Floss your teeth
- Practice gentle strokes performed with circular movements
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and relatively small head
- The simplest way to protect your oral health is to brush and floss after every main meal. In case you don’t have the time for that, a good mouthwash will do the job.
Using Mouthwash to Keep the Mouth Clean
In case you use a mouthwash every day then you will have germs and bacteria-free oral cavity. Dentists advise their patients to use a mouthwash on a daily basis. If you want to use natural mouthwash we will share a few recipes for homemade mouthwash. Most of them are based on essential oils.
- Take two drops of essential oil, preferably tea tree, clove or peppermint oil and half a cup of water. Mix the ingredients well and use the mouthwash on a daily basis.
- If you want to avoid infections use hydrogen peroxide. Since this ingredient is strong, use some water to dilute it.
Keep in mind that mouthwash is very effective. Perform this procedure twice a day – when you wake up and before you go to bed.
Drink More Water
Most people are aware of the fact that drinking plenty of water is crucial for our overall health including the health of our gums. We will now highlight two good reasons why you should increase water intake and how this practice makes your gums healthier.
- Drinking more water makes the mouth clean. In case you can’t brush your teeth after every meal, rely on water as a natural cleaner that will remove leftovers from the teeth. Feel free to swish the water in the mouth. You don’t need to spit the water once you are finished.
- Drinking more water will help you eliminate all the toxins from the body and your mouth. Use water to get rid of bacteria and germs stuck in the oral cavity. This practice will help you avoid receding gums.
Follow a Healthy Diet
Food that is considered healthy and packed with nutrients can boost your health and improve the immune system too. Conversely, junk and fast food will support the growth of bacteria in the oral cavity and result in various infections.
- Increase the intake of veggies and fruits. Experts advise the use of fruits and veggies packed with vitamin C because this vitamin is beneficial for the gums. Vitamin C has the ability to lower inflammation and supports the regeneration of gums. So, eat more oranges, asparagus, pineapples, broccoli, strawberries etc.
- Limit the consumption of sugar and stay away from cold drinks. These products attract bacteria.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, processed foods and products that contain white flour. These foods have negative impact on the health, especially on oral health.
Talk to Your Doctor about Supplementation
In case your body experiences deficiency in some of the most important nutrients, you can experience bad dental health and overall health. If you want to take some actions, consult your dentist and learn whether you should raise the intake of specific minerals or vitamins. This is a short list of supplements that can help people grow back their receding gums:
- Vitamin C – this vitamin will improve the immune system and you will soon feel the positive effects of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Calcium – this mineral is very good for the bone and dental health.
- Zinc – it will improve the immune system and your body will be able to eliminate many bacteria that can result in oral infections or illnesses.
- Gingko biloba – Gingko biloba can stabilize blood circulation, which is very important for the gums.
- Coenzyme Q10 – this coenzyme will support the re-growth of cells and the regeneration of receding gums.